If you are looking to save money on your electric bill, you may want to try using an electric monitor. The electric monitor promises that you can save up to 20% on your electric bill without having to sacrifice any comfort you enjoy in your home. Does it sound too good to be true? Well, let’s take a look at how it works and see if these promises are fact or fiction.
The Electric Monitor and How it Works
So what exactly does the electric monitor do? And, how can an electric monitor can help save money? Well, it monitors your electricity! You might argue that your electric meter already does that, and it does…but the nice thing about the monitor is it displays the amount of energy you are using in real time, on screen. That way you have easy access to this information round the clock.
The monitor is easy to use. It has two parts, one that fits over the mains live supply of your electric meter and the other is the part that stays in your home and gives you your read out. Here are some general instructions on how to set up your meter:
- Install batteries in both parts. (Some models are powered by the mains and do not need batteries).
- Setup date, time and current billing charge per kWh.
- Clip the monitoring part onto the live mains cable that feeds the fuse box from your meter.
- Synchronize both parts of the kit using the buttons provided.
- Place the unit in a convenient location.
There are several ways to set up your monitor to obtain your usage information. Updated information reaches the monitor in intervals which may range from 6-8 seconds. You can choose to view a breakdown of this information by cost, carbon footprint, kWh, etc. You can also receive updates on the cost of electricity per hour, or per 24-hour period.
How The Electric Monitor Can Help You Save Money
So now you have your kit installed, and it is telling you how much energy you are consuming. But how does one use this information to save money? Well, according to those who use the device, the electric monitor is pretty effective at doing its job. Read on to find out why.
- The electric monitor provides information about the current trends in electricity use and rates so you can take action to cut back immediately if a particular rate is on the rise.
- It helps you determine what appliances in your house are consuming the most electricity and cut down on usage if possible.
- It may be able to alert you as to when a particular item or appliance has been left on. This will only happen if the monitor is easy for family members to view. You may want to consider this when choosing a monitor for your home and go for one that has an easy to read display and one that can be positioned somewhere where it is visible.
- If you are in the habit of leaving lights on, an updated view of how much money you are spending by leaving those lights on may make you more aware of usage and more likely to turn those lights off. If your display is set for a 24 hour reading, you can really see how your costs are adding up.
How An Electric Monitor Can Help You Make an Informed Choice in Purchasing Light Bulbs
Electric monitors can also help you make money saving purchases. When you are purchasing light bulbs in a store, there is no certain way of knowing how long that bulb will last. There is a half life listed on the packaging, but it’s impossible to determine how accurate this is without actually using the bulb.
There are other factors that might add to the cost of what might, on the surface, seem to be an energy saving bulb. Energy saving bulbs may not give off as much light. Also, some bulbs may not work with your lighting equipment, which will require you to use an adapter. By using an electrical monitor, you will be able to tell which light, (and therefore light bulbs) are using the most electricity and you’ll be able to make money saving choices in the future. Some who have used an electric monitor have found eco-halogen bulbs to be a wise choice.
Other Money Saving Tips
Another device that can be helpful into saving you money on your electric bill is an electronic barometer that can read indoor humidity and temperature. These devices give you information on whether a chill in the air is caused by a nosedive temperature or just a temporary fluctuation that is outside of the ambient range. This can prevent residents from turning up heat unnecessarily.
What To Consider When Buying an Electric Monitor
There are certain things you should consider when making a purchasing decision for an electric monitor. One thing you must think about is whether you will need a three phase or a single phase system. This depends on the current electric power in your home. Make sure you determine this information before purchasing.
You also want to consider the amount of amps that are used by the system. The number of amps supported by each system can vary. It’s a good idea to find a system that has high accuracy and reliable consumption data. You also want to look for a monitor that is compact in size, cost effective, compatible worldwide, can work with a wide input voltage range and is easy to install.
Consider the communication protocols of the monitor. Choosing a smart power meter with compatible communication protocol can be the key in getting the system up and running. You may also want to look for features that allow you to upload stored data to your computer so you can compare trends over time.
An electric monitor can be a valuable tool helping homeowners to save money. However, it is important for owners to familiarize themselves with the ways electric monitors can be most helpful and which features they should look for to make these most effective for their households. Once you learn this information, you can make an intelligent choice in buying one, which will surely pay for itself over time.